Android java read text messages

2.2: Part 2 - Sending and Receiving SMS Messages

Runtime permissions, BroadcastReceiver & SmsManger.

When an Android app starts, the MainActivity is loaded and the onCreate function is called. That method gives us the chance to do some initialization when the app starts. I'm not going to show you all the initialization of the UI components so I can stay focused on the main subject of this article. The first code we see in onCreate that is interesting to us is:.

This code allows us to get the max volume level of the system's Audio service using the AudioManager. Usually this value is around 13 to This method shows you how to read from the Android SharedPreferences. These values can only be read and written by this app so they are considered safe.

Of course, we are just saving and retrieving the value of the current volume so it doesn't matter. The value of using SharedPreferences is that our values will be set and remembered each time the app is run. Once we have our preferences object, which we've obtained from the PreferenceManager , we can query it for values that may already be saved. In our case, we are looking for a integer value named volumeLevel. We use the getInt method which takes the name of the value we are looking for and a default value to return 3 in our case if it isn't found.

The first time the app runs, the value won't be found so we will set the value to 3. Once we get the value or the default then we simply call the setProgress method with the value to insure the SeekBar UI is updated with the correct value.

1. Intent Filter to receive SMS?
  2. Android Receive SMS Tutorial - Javapapers.
  3. cell phone listening software nokia 7.
  4. track phone for kids!
  5. spy on iphone 71 no jailbreak?
  6. SmsManager | Android Developers;
  7. How to create an SMS app part one – sending and receiving messages.

The method returns and we are back in onCreate. In the Android world, whenever you want some generic functionality to be resolved you can do so using an Intent. For example, if you want the user to be able to watch an video from your app it is likely that there is a video service already available for that.

That means you just need to set up an Intent properly and request the service handle the action. For Vext, I decided that the easiest way to make the TextToSpeech functionality available was to create a BroadcastReceiver that we can call when needed via an Intent. This will also allow the functionality to be more easily accessible when I implement the Android Widget more about that at a later time.

As I said, you can request functionality outside of your app, but in our case I want to keep the service local and I've learned that I can do so by creating a class that descends BroadcastReceiver. That prepares the TextToSpeech system as we will use it. This class is fairly straight forward and we will move back to the MainActivity code that calls it via the Intent in just a moment so you can see how it is called.

But, first let's take a look at what we have here. It is very easy to take some action when your BroadcastReceiver is invoked.

How to read SMS and send SMS from your android app (part 1/2)

You simply override the onReceive method and the OS will let you know when the event has occurred. This is the code that will run when you new up the Intent and make a call to the BroadcastReceiver via the LocalBroadcastManager. You can look up more details of those basics, but let me add where this class has to be registered so you will understand how the system knows how to find this class. Whenever you add a BroadcastReceiver you also have to register the class with the system so it knows how to find the class.

You do that via the AndroidManifest found in your project. Though I don't like to heave a bunch of code on readers I am going to show the entire AndroidManifest here because there are a couple of Android permissions that we also need to allow and you may as well see them now. I will also bold the portion of the TTSReceiver definition so you can see that.

Much of the AndroidManifest is generated by the Android Studio project template when you create your project. As you can see, the first two bolded lines are permissions that I've added.

• Incomming SMS Broadcast Receiver - Android Example;
  • Android - Sending SMS?
  • spy on another cell phone.
  • Read sms messages programatically in Android - GadgetSaint.

The first one allows our app to receive SMS messages. That means the user will be warned when installing the app that it will do that. If the user wants she can cancel the installation. This app also needs to read the Contact information for getting the name of the user that is sending you a message. If you look closely, you'll see that our MainActivity is also registered in the manifest. You can also see that the TTSReceiver registers an action named "us.

Project Structure :

We store the volume level in a variable so we can use it to set the volume level that the TextToSpeech engine will use. Here we grab that text and save it to a member variable named messageBodyText.

Coding challenge

SmsReceiver" the common service name? BugleGservicesKeys ;. App First-Time Run You add this code to your MainActivity so that when the user runs the app the first time she will be notified that the app is requesting the permissions and will have to respond to allow the permissions. When a SMS message arrives, the inbox is automatically refreshed. Fixing Permissions Previously I had an issue where I wasn't requesting the permissions properly on Marshmallow 6. From API 19 onwards you can make use of the Telephony Class for that; Since hardcored values won't retrieve messages in every devices because the content provider Uri changes from devices and manufacturers. Most of you aware of Android O is coming up with variety of system and API behavior changes and Google is continuously working to improve the security and performance of the Android system.

This is normally the body of the text message that has come in. However, since we are using this BroadcastReceiver for any of our calls to the TextToSpeech this is any text that we want to have spoken aloud. You can see that we have to intialize TTSListener so we can use it to initialize the TextToSpeech object that it will actually speak the text.

I store those objects in member variables so that TTS is initialized for the life of the app. However, I did run into some strangeness. I ran into some issues when attempting to initialize the TextToSpeech. I found that if I made that first call in the onInit method shown above now commented because it should not be used that the TextToSpeech would repeat phrases.

It was very odd and represented a challenge because when I did not do that then TextToSpeech would not speak any of my text. I finally fixed this by initializing the TTS with a first call that requested it to speak an empty string. Yeah, it seems ridiculous, but I learned that others were having the odd repeating also.

This especially improved the security of user data because no other application will be able to read the content. There are lot more improvements are done via Google. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for upcoming articles.

AndroidManifest.xml

Use Content Resolver ("content://sms/inbox") to read SMS which are in inbox. .. This post is a little bit old, but here is another easy solution for getting data related to SMS content provider in Android: Use this lib: . rozedoqafy.tk How can I read SMS messages from the device programmatically in Android?.

Check out my blogger page for more interesting topics on Software development. Sign in. Get started. Submit Archive About Events. Ankit Sinhal Follow. What is SMS Verification? Following are the steps involved to use this new API- 1.

Android Receive SMS Tutorial

Generate a token at backend server and send it to client Android 2. Senior Software Engineer at Mastercard. Khobaib, as usual the things on the internet are fleeting. I found a copy on archive. But we should consider converting the content of the page from web. Probably an hour's work. I Hope it helps :. Thank you! You misspelled "getColumnName", else than that it works like a charm.

• activity_main.xml?
  • iphone 6s Plus ios 9 spyware?
  • topspy install app;
  • Android Receiving SMS Example - Java Articles.
  • Receive SMS Permissions;
  • Android Phone Reads SMS (Txt) Messages To You!
  • mobile imei number to track nokia 9software.

Oh, and if anyone will use this, don't forget to add the permission android. Does this also use the undocumented api that CommonsWare specified in his comment to the accepted answer? Don't miss moveToFirst as I did. Krishnabhadra Yes. Atif Mahmood Atif Mahmood 6, 2 2 gold badges 30 30 silver badges 39 39 bronze badges. That's a nice piece of code. Just one thing, the time is obtained in milliseconds. TomasNavara: Check this code for understanding the use of getter and setter. Nicu Surdu 4, 8 8 gold badges 58 58 silver badges 86 86 bronze badges.

This is not part of the Android SDK. This code makes the incorrect assumption that all devices support this undocumented and unsupported content provider.

SmsManager

Google has explicitly indicated that relying upon this is not a good idea: android-developers. CommonsWare what would be a correct solution for this? Janusz: There is no documented and supported means that works across all SMS clients on all devices. CommonsWare that is sad to hear. May have to live with this API then. The code has moved. Searching SmsPopupUtils. In case they move it again or discontinue it completely, here's a backup link - pastebin.

What is mspy?

mSpy is a global leader in monitoring solutions dedicated to satisfying end-user needs for security, safety and convenience.

How it works

Use the full power of mobile tracking software

Monitor messengers

Get the full access to chats and messengers of a tracked device.

Contact us 24/7

Our dedicated support team can be reached via email, chat or phone.

Store your data

Securely store, backup and export your data.

Monitor multiple devices

You can simultaneously monitor smartphones (Android, iOS) and computers (Mac, Windows).

24/7

24/7 global customer support

mSpy treasures every its client and pays much attention to its customer service 24/7.

95%

95% customer satisfaction

Customer satisfaction is the highest priority for mSpy. 95% of mSpy clients declared to be satisfied and ready to reorder our services.

mSpy makes customers happy

• Once I’ve tried mSpy, it has become an invaluable part of my life as a parent. It lets me be updated with what my kids are doing - this way I’m sure that they’re ok. I also like that I can adjust settings, deciding which contacts, sites or apps to block or allow.

• mSpy is a nice app that helps me take full charge of my child’s internet activity. I can also block any suspicious contacts, if such occur. A nice choice for modern parents.

• Safeguarding kids is of key importance for every parent. And mSpy helps me keep an eye on my daughter when I cannot be close to her. I highly recommend it!

• My son is on his phones 24/7, and sometimes I just need to check that he is not doing anything bad. mSpy lets me be updated with everything he handles with on a regular basis.

• I’ve looked for a nice app to keep an eye on my kids when I am not around. And a friend of mine recommended me mSpy. I like it! It helps me guardian my children in the stormy sea of internet.

Endorsements

The app is ostensibly intended for legal monitoring use, and there are certainly legitimate reasons to install the software. Companies, for instance, could inform their employees that they’re surveilling company phones for security purposes

The Next Web