Can you track a stolen cell phone

What to Do If Your Phone Is Stolen

All your contacts, photos, files and access to your favourite sites. In most cases your stolen property is gone forever, but, by being prepared and installing the necessary tracking apps, you may stand a chance of getting your device back. Mobile devices have become one of the most sought-after items for thieves.

They don't have to make too much of an effort to find their potential target if you walk around in public using your mobile device. Before you realise it your phone is in the hands of someone else who can easily get lost in a crowd or who knows of a quick getaway.

10+ Apps To Track Lost / Stolen Android Devices - Hongkiat

There are a number of applications specifically designed to help you locate your mobile device in the event that it is lost or stolen. Some manufacturers even pre-install this functionality, making it easier for you to track your device. Android Device Manager can track your Android phone or tablet without you having to install an app.

However, this option will only work if your device is connected to your Google account and if it has internet access. You can then either use a laptop or another Android device to track your phone. In order to use the Find my iPhone app, you need to have previously activated this service on your iPhone, iPad or Mac.

The service is cloud-based and can help you track your device by providing the location. If you haven't installed this app on one of your other Apple devices, simply go to icloud. If you pinpoint your phone's location, give its whereabouts to SAPS. Don't go after it yourself.

10+ Apps To Track Lost / Stolen Android Devices

You never know what situation you might find yourself in. BlackBerry 10 and later versions have the BlackBerry Protect feature built in to the operating system. For earlier versions the app can be installed from the BlackBerry AppWorld store. Once you have the software installed you can log on to the BlackBerry Protect website and lock your device or delete all your information.

Alternatively, you can search the map to locate your device and have a customised message displayed on the home screen on how to contact you. Find my phone is automatically set up on your device from the time you start using it. You can use this service to ring, lock, erase or search for your phone's location on a map on any device that is connected to the internet.

As with the other operating systems this feature will only work if your phone is connected to the internet. Microsoft's system will continue to search for your device until it reconnects to the internet. You will receive a notification with your device's last known location. Going to the police station can be quite daunting after you have just been robbed, but you need to report the crime so that you can get a case number.

Phone stolen? Don’t panic

This will be required by your insurance company, banks and any retailers should you accounts be accessed and used fraudulently. The South Africa Police Services SAPS may not be able to get your phone back, but they could possibly use the information that you provide to track thieves selling mobile devices online. If you are robbed in a place where there are security guards on duty, report the crime to them so that they can be on the lookout for any suspicious activity i. Let your bank know immediately that your device has been stolen and that there is a possibility that the thieves may use your online banking information to make purchases.

They will also be able to advise you on what needs to be done in order to reduce the risk of your account details being accessed. If your device or any online accounts - such as email or cloud storage contains scans of your ID book and other sensitive documents, register the documents with the SAFPS via phone , email or online web form.

You should also report any fraudulent activities where you identity has been used to SAFPS via phone, In cases of financial fraud, contact the Credit Ombudsman to resolve disputes with credit providers or agents. Contact your mobile service provider so that they can block calls from being made using your SIM card.

Thieves could end up using your phone to make expensive calls, which you will be responsible for paying. List all the online accounts and services you've used on the device, then change those passwords immediately. Avoid making these changes from public computers which criminals can use to capture your information or over public Wi-Fi services which can be intercepted by criminals.

Add your phone's IMEI number to a free global database. Immediately after signing into the site or app, Google will attempt to locate your phone. An alert will be sent to your phone to tell whoever has it that it's being tracked. Use the menu on the left-hand side of the Find My Device site to play a sound helpful if you misplaced it in your home! Selecting Secure Device will lock the phone, display a message of your choosing on the lock screen, and sign out of your Google account.

Don't worry, you can still locate the phone after it's locked. If you use Google Pay for mobile payments, locking your phone will prevent anyone from using your phone to make a purchase.

Before Mueller Testifies, Dems Demand More Election Security

As you'll see below, the added capabilities are invaluable. But I digress. Method 1. There are tools built into every Android phone that make it possible to lock and track down a lost phone with ease. Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic. Look for the phone in person.

If you use the Erase Device feature, you will no longer be able to track the phone once it's erased. Reserve this feature as a last resort.

Track down a lost phone with these simple solutions for Android and iPhone

Should the thief turn off your phone, you won't be able to track it until it's turned back on and has a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Google will send you an email once it locates your device. Samsung Galaxy owners have the benefit of using Google's or Samsung's respective services to locate a lost device, but I recommend using Samsung's offering. As you'll see below, the added capabilities are invaluable. To track a lost device with Samsung's service, you need to visit findmymobile. There isn't a companion app, so you'll need to use a mobile browser on another phone or a computer.

Sign in with your Samsung account, then select your lost device on the left side of the screen. A map will display where your phone is currently located, and a menu of options will show up on the right side of the screen. Start by locking the phone, which will display a personalized message on the lock screen, suspend your Samsung Pay cards, and prevent the phone from being powered off.

Next, create a backup of your phone. Should you lose it for good, you'll want to have a current backup of your phone. If the phone is moving locations, use the Track location feature. Enabling this feature will track your phone every 15 minutes. Finally, turn on the Extend battery life feature -- this will disable almost everything on the phone, outside of the location tracking.

• Find, lock, or erase a lost Android device - Google Account Help.
  • How to use;
  • What to Do If Your Phone Is Stolen | Tom's Guide!
  • Stolen or lost Android phone? Here's how to get it back.

If your phone has been stolen and you're able to track its location, do not attempt to recover it yourself. Doing so could lead to you or someone else getting hurt, and despite the importance of a phone, it's simply not worth it. Instead, contact local law enforcement and let them know you need help recovering a lost or stolen phone that you've been able to track to a specific address. Contact your carrier to file an insurance claim as soon as you realize you aren't getting your phone back. If it becomes clear that you're never going to get your phone back, contact your carrier and report your phone as lost or stolen.

Doing this will blacklist the phone from the carrier's database, preventing another person from using it. When you call, your carrier will want to suspend your service as well. This is a good idea if you want to prevent someone from using your phone. Finally, if you pay for insurance on your phone, you'll need to file a claim and pay the deductible to get your replacement phone.

A Preview of Mueller's Testimony, an Electric F-150, and More

If you want to ensure that no one can access your Samsung's data, click LOCK MY DEVICE in the pop-up. With Google I/O just a few days away, it's possible we will see the addition of new features to help protect your data and track down a lost phone.

Get the insurance claim process started through your carrier, who will then likely refer you to the third-party insurance company who will replace your phone. Good luck! We hope you never have to go through the emotional roller coaster of losing a phone, tracking it down, and trying to get it back. Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic. We delete comments that violate our policy , which we encourage you to read.

What is mspy?

mSpy is a global leader in monitoring solutions dedicated to satisfying end-user needs for security, safety and convenience.

How it works

Use the full power of mobile tracking software

Monitor messengers

Get the full access to chats and messengers of a tracked device.

Contact us 24/7

Our dedicated support team can be reached via email, chat or phone.

Store your data

Securely store, backup and export your data.

Monitor multiple devices

You can simultaneously monitor smartphones (Android, iOS) and computers (Mac, Windows).

24/7

24/7 global customer support

mSpy treasures every its client and pays much attention to its customer service 24/7.

95%

95% customer satisfaction

Customer satisfaction is the highest priority for mSpy. 95% of mSpy clients declared to be satisfied and ready to reorder our services.

mSpy makes customers happy

• Once I’ve tried mSpy, it has become an invaluable part of my life as a parent. It lets me be updated with what my kids are doing - this way I’m sure that they’re ok. I also like that I can adjust settings, deciding which contacts, sites or apps to block or allow.

• mSpy is a nice app that helps me take full charge of my child’s internet activity. I can also block any suspicious contacts, if such occur. A nice choice for modern parents.

• Safeguarding kids is of key importance for every parent. And mSpy helps me keep an eye on my daughter when I cannot be close to her. I highly recommend it!

• My son is on his phones 24/7, and sometimes I just need to check that he is not doing anything bad. mSpy lets me be updated with everything he handles with on a regular basis.

• I’ve looked for a nice app to keep an eye on my kids when I am not around. And a friend of mine recommended me mSpy. I like it! It helps me guardian my children in the stormy sea of internet.

Endorsements

The app is ostensibly intended for legal monitoring use, and there are certainly legitimate reasons to install the software. Companies, for instance, could inform their employees that they’re surveilling company phones for security purposes

The Next Web